Saturday, January 3, 2015

On the Road...

My husband and I are making a quick trip to Houston on this first weekend in 2015. We are hauling a$& my friends! As he drives I notice all of the people cell phone driving or as I like to say, drunk driving without the benefit of alcohol. Seriously people! That is like Mike Tyson trying to put lipstick on a pig while practicing an undercut. It ain't pretty. I'm just saying. I've been thinking about what a terrible driver I am and I am so glad I am not driving right now. Road trips are fun though. What has been more fun is singing along to the radio. There is something endearing about listening to a forty year old man song This Girl is on Fire and how he wants "to get the party started". This trip was an impromtu "let's go see Sherri" trip. Sherri is one of my best friends in the whole world. She is by far the most intelligent hill-billy I know and she has all of her teeth😁. We used to work at the same salon years ago. Instead of slinging hair she sells homes now. She is the only real estate agent I know that can give you moonshine as a housewarming gift and make it seem normal. Back in our hair slinging days together, she used to avoid cutting kids hair by charging $50. Someone asked her once if that price was for real and in true West Virginia style she answered, "You're damn right and if you don't tip me I'm gonna be pissed!" God love her. She is one of the few people in my world who can make me laugh until I darn near pee. When we were training to be Redken Educators together ( Hairshow people ), we each got up to introduce ourselves and talk about why we were there. One by one, each hairdresser got up and said, "Oh my God! I like love to do hair more than life itself. In fact I would like totally die if I was not a hairdresser. I eat, sleep, and breathe hair!!!" After each one, there would be clapping and cheering. They were so deep. Sherri was one of the last to get up. "Well," she started in that heavy accent, "I was in the Army and I guess I got tired of throwing grenades. I decided after many different jobs, I needed to do hair ( sounds like hay-air, two syllables )." It was so quiet after that, I thouht I heard a cricket in the distance. After the longest ten seconds ever, there were a couple of pathetic and confused claps. All I could do was smile. God love her. I can't wait to see my friend. Almost there now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment